Water damage can be caused by a number of things, such as heavy storms, a burst pipe, or an overflowing washing machine. Unfortunately, it doesn't take deep water to cause damage; even the smallest overflow can lead to significant damage. Regardless of the cause, the basic goal is always the same: to clean up the water and dry everything out as soon as possible. Water continues to cause problems for as long as it remains present, and more serious issues such as mold are only hours away from occurring. Water damage restoration is a serious task and should not be taken lightly. If not done properly, it can result in greater damage than you'd think.
Process of Water Damage Restoration
Water damage restoration is a multi-layered process that consists of certain steps that must be taken in a specific order to ensure the task is successful. Whatever the amount of water to be cleaned up is, the process is generally broken down into four steps:
- Extraction. This part of the process involves removing the excess water. Extraction is usually done with the use of a wet-dry vacuum or a submersible pump.
- Secondary drying. Once the excess water is removed, some surfaces may seem to be dry, but there may be water beneath the surface. Many surfaces, such as carpet or concrete, will retain a large amount of water, and the only way to thoroughly dry them out is with air circulation. It's best to open all doors and windows in order to get the air moving through the house. Using high-velocity fans and blowers will also help to circulate the air and dry all surfaces.
- Repairs. This part of the process involves cleaning and repairing all items that have been damaged by the water; it is also one of the most time-consuming steps in the process. Damaged items should be removed and repaired elsewhere. All items should be cleaned and disinfected, especially if the cause is sewage-based water damage.
- Restoration. This is the final part of the process, which involves taking care of the fine details necessary to return your home and belongings to their pre-loss condition.
Reasons to Hire a Professional Water Restoration Company
Water damage restoration companies have experience with restoring a structure and personal property after a flood. They can help regardless of the reason for the flooding. The top reasons you should hire a professional company to help with water damage include the following:
- Preventing structural damage and mold. Restoration companies can inspect your home and identify the risk of structural damage and mold resulting from the flooding.
- The right tools. Professional restoration companies have specialized equipment and tools to get the job done quickly and efficiently. The equipment they have will enable them to extract the water quickly, which can reduce the risk of further damages.
- Safety. Water damage jobs can be dangerous, so it best to leave the cleanup to experienced professionals. This is especially important if the water is in an area such as the basement where there are electrical fixtures and circuit boxes.
- Get rid of bad odors. A professional restoration company will have the supplies to eliminate the bad odors from your home. Not only will they extract the water, dry everything out, and clean your carpet and furniture, but they also deodorize your home to make sure it smells fresh when the job is done.
The process of water damage restoration may be much more difficult than you first thought, especially in large cases of water damage. The full process may take place over a period of a few days to a few weeks, depending on the size of the damage, so it is important to plan for the possibility of not being able to remain in your home while the cleanup is being done.